Thursday, November 14, 2013

Does Roller Skating Count?

Did you know that Roller Skating is recognized and recommended by the American Heart Association (AHA) as an aerobic fitness sport? Studies have shown that roller skating provides a complete aerobic workout and involves all of the body's muscles, especially the heart.

Oh! That's good news. Right? So, if I go hang out at Great Skate for two hours of fun, I'm getting a workout? Well....maybe. The number of calories burned per hour while skating at 6mph is 350, or 600 if skating 10mph. Cool! That burns off the pizza and soda I had at the concession just before skating. So, I have another hour of my 2-hour skate session left to do some real good.

Even if I don't skate continually during the next hour, I can skate an average of 30 minutes and get some heart-healthy action. I could expend about 285 calories and get my heart rate up to 148 beats. That is very good for the heart.

Skate Inquiry:

If you roller skated one day, bicycled another and swam or ran on another. You will be:

A) Passed out on the couch, not able to move

B) Feeling great having gotten all the benefits of aerobics

C) I'd never do all that

No comments:

Post a Comment